Wednesday, February 10, 2010

1800flowers Makes Me a Cool Mom Again (okay, maybe for the first time)

My youngest child is a 17 year old high school junior who no longer comes to me for advice. I don’t understand football the way my husband does, I can’t understand the words to the music my son likes, and any suggestion from me is met with eye-rolling and big sighs.
So when my baby boy looked up over his frozen waffles this morning and said,

“Hey momma, I wanna get Lauren something for V-Day but I don’t want it to be stupid or lame. Any ideas?”

…the pressure was totally on! Since generally my ideas ARE stupid and lame I was both flattered and flummoxed.

Taking a deep (and stall-worthy) breath, I slurped down a little more caffeine and had the biggest V-8 moment of the week! While searching for flowers to send my daughters I had stumbled upon a pretty Twilight Flowers Poster Bundle that seemed actually “cool”. Of course I’d had to Google the Twilight Book Series before I remembered that the vampire-based fantasy romance novels are hugely popular with young women…but my son didn’t need to know that part!

And since I am the queen of a good-deal, I knew too that MSNBC’s crack consumer reporter just complimented that same company, 1800flowers for their pricing honesty. Okay, seemed like a good idea to me: A quick mental review over one more gulp of coffee “teenaged son wants to send something cool to a teenage girl for Valentines Day. Twilight Books are cool. A Twilight card & poster with a dozen roses are very cool. This should work.”

I casually said,
“You might want to check out 1800flowers.com I think I heard something about a special Twilight Valentines Day deal. Lauren might think that was sorta neat”
and I held my maternal breath.

“Oh okay, that sounds cool” my youngest progeny replied, “thanks”.

Yesssssssssss!!!!! Today 1800flowers made me cooler – life and Valentines Day is good!

1 comment:

  1. Sorry to burst your bubble, mom, but I think Lester Bangs put it best in the movie "Almost Famous", "They make you feel cool. And hey. I met you. You are not cool."

    Just kidding. That was a really great parental moment you had. And your words about it are great!

    Those teen years sure are FUN, aren't they?

    -Don

    ReplyDelete